f1000021.jpg sneak peak from the villa drive Thumbnails university stadium darmstadt sneak peak from the villa drive Thumbnails university stadium darmstadt sneak peak from the villa drive Thumbnails university stadium darmstadt
gas station, jean prouvé ca. 1953/2003
The petrol station designed in 1953 by Jean Prouvé and his brother Henry is one of the first serially manufactured petrol stations. It was built about 1953 for Mobiloil Socony-Vacuum and stood at “Relais des Sangliers” in the Département Haute-Loire. Created modularly of individual pieces, it was installed in 2003. There are three in total on the Vitra Campus.

The building consists of angular aluminium components and sheeting perforated with bull’s eye cut-outs. The load-bearing structure and wall construction are clearly differentiated from one another, a distinction reinforced by the colour scheme. Many of the buildings by Prouvé constructed out of prefabricated metal components have structural and formal qualities almost identical to his table designs and demonstrate his consistent adherence to tectonic principles in the design process.

source:vitra